Friday, December 11, 2015

Holy Land

God gave this land to me, one says. 
The land is mine, another.  Their too-close
stories jostle to root in the same soil. 
Lines are scratched to separate the people
of one story from the other – Green Line,
Blue Line; Area A, B, and C; H1 and H2.  
The stories get shouted.  Rocks
rockets and reprisals follow.  The lines
harden into concrete walls capped
with barbed wire. 

Bah!  What do I know of lines? 
I am the land, hurled into the cosmos
eight billion years before Genesis. 
What I know is that fire is hot and burns
the hair of Marwa; that rounds at rifle
speed catch and cripple Mohammad;
that Ayat’s 18-year old arms and legs
become missiles when she pulls
the cord at her waist.  What I know
is that the blood of children
doesn’t nourish the branch 
of even one olive tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment