Friday, December 25, 2009

Magi

"...no longer at ease here, in the old dispensation"
TS Eliot, The Journey of the Magi


One tree only in our house, decorated
with tinsel and tradition. Eliot’s Magi
saw three trees and an old white horse
that galloped away leaving them
uncertain about birth or death.

This dawn in our house, Jesus sleeps
and the Magi are mute, so I hear
invitation in the poet’s soliloquy
and cannot be innocent. Quiet
and disquiet won’t remain. Arriving

are not Kings, but the bustle of family
and a new grandchild. We celebrate
innocence, giving, wonder. Our day
clamors with happy unwrapping
the clatter of dishes and love. Still

in the evening, I don’t leave with the Magi
transformed and glad of another death. Skeptical
I slip from the poet’s god as the poet’s voice
slips from me until it is just an uneasy
murmur of hearing and disbelief.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Don! We received your holiday letter via Snail Mail to Singapore this week. I would love to send you an update via email- please send me your current email if you would like to see our "missive from the annual bard"! :) Lisa Alvarez-Calderon (lalvare2@its.jnj.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rhythms and the dramatic timing created by the syntax and line breaks.

    ReplyDelete