Sunday, August 2, 2009

Midnight on the Other Side of the Bed

Write a poem in the voice of the other gender

I’m hot.

Not the toney body hot
that makes you want to shake your booty,
though I have danced.

Not the humid erotic hot
that you feel in your nipples,
though I have loved.

But the midnight hot
when I throw off the covers
and measure minutes long.

My grown children keep their own time now;
there are no urgent cries in the night,
there won’t be others.

Some memories make a refuge where I can
let the bad dreams go. I can
make the clock tick comfortably.

Freed from hormonal puppet strings, I can
rise to my own future. I can
make friends important, even men.

Morning will bring fiber cereal,
supplements and stretching,
the sweat will cool at the back of my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment